Coronavirus: Pompeo says 'enormous evidence' virus came from Wuhan lab

Coronavirus: Pompeo says 'enormous evidence' virus came from Wuhan lab


United Sates: State Secretary Michael Pompeo said "enormous evidence" shows the coronavirus outbreak started in a laboratory in Wuhan, China, but did not provide any evidence for his claims.

Pompeo stopped short of suggesting that the virus was man-made, adding that he agreed with a National Intelligence Director's Office study except the man-made genetic alteration.

“I can tell you that there is a significant amount of evidence that this came from that laboratory in Wuhan,” Pompeo said.

“These are not the first times that we’ve had a world exposed to viruses as a result of failures in a Chinese lab.”

The origin of the virus has become a focal point in the pandemic, and tensions between the US and China have ratcheted up. As US pandemic deaths exceed 66,000, President Donald Trump has stepped up efforts to blame China.

“I’ve seen what the intelligence community has said,” said Pompeo.

“I have no reason to believe that they’ve got it wrong.”

“I don’t have anything to say about that,” Pompeo said.


Last week, Trump and his advisors sharpened their criticism of Beijing, demanding information about the sources of the virus. The president tweeted Friday that certain the United States news networks are "Chinese puppets," as the anti-China advertisements were launched by his super-political action committee.

“China behaved like authoritarian regimes do, attempted to conceal and hide and confuse,” The secretary said.

“It employed the World Health Organization as a tool to do the same.”

“This is an ongoing threat, an ongoing pandemic,” Michael Pompeo said. 

“The Chinese Communist Party continues to block access to the Western world, the world’s best scientists, to figure out exactly what happened.”

The secretary Michael Pompeo said China continued to block access to samples of the virus needed for research by WHO health experts, as well as U.S. scientists.